Why a Prayer Shield...?

Do you like war movies?

I do – love 'em! When I watch them, I get LOTS of symbolism out of them. Whenever the good guys were taking more ground, or higher ground, always you'd hear one of them (usually the leader, who was coming out into the open) say, “Cover me”...

Even the world knows that when your 'out there' taking territory – you need someone to cover your back ! That's a Prayer Shield!

Stacey Elderidge says, “ We weren't born into Eden....we have been born into a world at War. “ The reality is, you have an enemy and the enemy hates you – you know why? You are doing what he gave up – relationship with the Father, being in His presence, knowing His voice, loving, serving and worshiping the king. You are now doing what he used to..and he is working 24/7 to find ways to shut you up, discourage you, and stop your purpose.

Not to scare you..but we have to be realistic. Whether you are a pastor/leader in a local church, or an influencer for the Kingdom in areas of business, finances, government, family, media/arts or education - you need to be getting prayer coverage. Anyone, who is taking ground for, and influencing their area of vision/service, for the Kingdom - needs to getting proper, consistent and intentional prayer coverage.

Gladiator:

I watched it four times – even took shield and swords with me into the theater. ( It's amazing what you can make out of cardboard and tin foil!!)...There is an Arena scene, that is the best picture of a prayer shield you'll ever see. Completely surrounded – out gunned and out numbered .....But what did they have was ' shields' as well as some short swords and a few spears. It was the shields that gave them the edge over their enemy.

The men learned to work together with their shield – covering the men in the middle by interlocking them. No arrows got thru..and they defeated a greater enemy – an enemy who was originally set up to win.. Because they learned to use what they were given, as a unit/group, the individual protection of their shields, became something far more! When our prayers, link together ( come into agreement) around an individual or situation - the multiplied strength of those prayers become a force to be reckoned with.

Why do " I" need an an actual Prayer Shield? Well....if you're a leader or pastor and you're reading this, then you realise that you need to be covered by prayer – your FAMILY needs to be covered – health, finances, sleep patterns, relationships – you name it, Prayer Shields are to be there, covering you..as you take ground for the Kingdom...

DON'T make the mistake of assuming everyone who says “I'm praying for you – is.” That phrase has kinda become the Christian version of 'Let's do lunch' – it might happen, it might not. Our leaders need people who are intentional about praying for them, and their families.

DON'T be falsely humble: the enemy loves pastor and/or leaders who say “ Oh...who am I to be asking people to pray for me. “...WHAT??!! The enemy loves that kind of talk, and he'll keep feeding it to you, and encouraging you to think that way. He'll even tell you that it's being humble!! The truth is , true HUMILITY is saying, " I need people praying for me, so that I can do what God has asked of me..."

GET HELP:

Leaders seem to have a hard time setting up prayer shields. Enlist aid! That's where I come in! God's put it on my heart to make sure we get our leader's covered in prayer – intentional, purposeful, consistent, committed prayer!

Read the next few articles and you'll learn more about Prayer Shields. If you have any questions - feel free to contact me. I don't have all the answers, but I'm happy to share what I know.

I'll be covering a few different topics: How to set a prayer shield up - Danger signs to look for - How do you know when you need to enlarge your Prayer Shield - and more.

Personal Note:

My husband was not a leader who had ever had a prayer shield before, and his first reaction was that he wasn't important enough to be asking people to commit their time to praying for him. My answer to him, was that if you are doing anything for the Kingdom, you need prayer AND your family does too! Now…after a few years of operating with a prayer shield he tells other leaders that it’s made a world of difference to his ministry, and he doesn't know how he ever did without one!!
So…read the different articles I'll be posting ….If you have any questions or want to read further, try Peter Wagner’s book “prayer Shields” – excellent book! Cindy Jacob’s book “Possessing the Gates of the Enemy” has some great guidelines too, for prayer partners! Or..if you have any questions email me or leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Great insight! I am so excited to hear what you will write about next. Your ministry is like the force field that protects a person, area or object from attacks or intrusions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah David! You are definitely an exhorter and encourager. Thank you for being in my corner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who needs a prayer shield?